So today we are going to talk about the tough stuff….brace yourself!
If 2017 taught Hatched anything it is that occasionally bad things happen to good people……..well good businesses.
Hold that thought.
We love February as it’s that time of year to visit existing and new clients to plan our year together. It’s a chance to reflect on 2017 and think ahead to 2018. There was an interesting tone to each conversation, an optimistic sense of saying goodbye to a few things, and most excitedly a chance to let new things in.
We found ourselves listening to stories from each leader on continued purposeful business success a few tougher moments were front of mind. We won’t go into the details yet stories ranged from store expansions in new countries that didn’t quite work, challenging situations with leaders who may not be living their values and a few stories around activity misaligned with purpose.
Interesting instead of these being stories of woe, they were uplifting stories of triumph and how each challenging situation has made each business stronger. That by doing the hard stuff well, by making tough decisions and doing it in a manner aligned your values and purpose, it actually makes you a better business.
No matter how purposeful or good your business is, it will experience its fair share of challenges. The key is not to assume this will never happen or to tuck it away under your ethically made mat.
The true test of any purposeful business is how you respond when bad stuff happens.
Here are Hatched’s 5 tips for challenging situations:
1. Let your purpose and values guide you: it will become very clear, very quickly when things are misaligned, feel it, listen to it, talk about it. You know when it’s happening, don’t ignore it.
2. Act quickly: when something bad pops up you need to take quick decisive action in a way that is true to your purpose and values. Let the issue linger and it causes more problems or act in a manner that is misaligned with your values and your integrity will be questioned.
3. Be 100% transparent: with your team and other stakeholders, share how and why this decision is misaligned with your purpose and values. Tell the real story. Speak directly to anyone impacted, spend time with your teams, speak from your heart, don’t use a boring business voice.
4. Set up space for the team to learn or heal, especially those impact directly, to talk openly, share their thoughts and feelings. It stops all the hallway chatter and enables people to connect, learn from the situation and realign themselves to why they are there in the first place.
5. Embrace the learnings from this situation and include your team in setting a new direction or strategy to make your business even stronger.
Many businesses leaders had to make some tough decision in 2017 and through doing so are feeling pumped about 2018.
Doing the hard work well pays off.
So as your reward we are proposing 2018 as the year of the cleanse.
As you think about spraying a refreshing cucumber laden mist across your business we recommend just 3 things:
1. Purpose check-in: get your team together, reconnect with your purpose, celebrate what you are doing well, but bravely ask yourself, what are we doing that doesn’t align with your purpose?
2. Collective sensing: ensure your team has a forum to talk about anything that is popping up in a very open and honest way. Sensing as a collective is your radar for picking up any key issues early, and when you pick things up early it gives you time and space to deal with them effectively.
3. Individual purpose journeys: it’s all well and good to have a business purpose, but typically what is missing each of your team members understanding their own individual purpose. True magic happens when individual and business purpose connect. This is key to enable your people to grow and to equip them to make better decisions.
Here’s to 2018.
--- Want to talk to Hatched? Visit www.hatched.io or email email@example.com.