Hello Friends, its Hatched again and we are making a big claim this week. Anyone who has spent a little time with us recently would have heard us squawking like an old parrot “marketing is dead…..marketing is dead….marketing is dead” as we trot around the streets like a crazy person claiming it is the end of the world.
As we shake our little Hatched feathers and come to our senses we realise this is a big call……. however, no one can ignore the signs that traditional marketing is taking its last breath exhausted from the glory days of television, kick-ass creative and boozy madmen’esque behaviour. Many marketeers across the globe are clutching at ideas, trying to wrestle with social, facing declining budgets and attempting to reinvent themselves as consumers take things into their own hands waking up to old techniques of selling them stuff they don’t need.
As we give a shout out of genuine love to the amazing marketing people we partner with, we recognise we are all on a joint discovery to understand what marketing holds next. So we offer you up an image that has come to us which feels like a return to putting a little more human back into how we form true transparent, authentic, empathetic relationships with our customers which are in the best interests of both the individual and business. We hope over time this will replace words such as taglines, one-off campaigns, incentives, closing the deal, overcoming objections and pricing optimisation.
Take a look, tell us what you think and please add to the discussion.
The two triangles:
- Purpose: putting your impactful purpose at the centre of all you do, your conversations, decisions and product/service design
- Human Need: connecting every single person in your business to the deep human need that sits at the core of your offering
- Relationship: genuine inclusive partnerships with consumers, intermediaries, and suppliers
- Identity: beyond branding to storytelling, openness and an ongoing narrative
The four components:
- Customer understanding: hire people who love what your company does, have them spend time with customers and truly understand them. Analytics are powerful but nothing beats understanding the highs, lows, hearts, and minds of your customers. So get out of the office……now!
- Proposition: create a product or service that really, really works by taking friction out of your customer’s lives and see what happens…....hint…....magic!
- Capability: invest in the capability of your people and partners through experiences and build true empathy with your customers, throw out traditional training approaches and start afresh.
- Meaningful Experience: create an incredible customer experience that has a positive impact on their lives
It is easier said than done but those companies (like our clients) that do the elements of the above well say that marketing really takes care of itself needing much smaller savvy investments in spending time where your customer hang out and being a true partner in the conversation, one that is welcomed with open arms and not seen as an intrusion.